< Poetry < Interesting Articles < Inspiring Stories < Stories from Reverts | Prayer Timetables > What is Islam > Salat > Ramadan > Hajj >  Qur'an >

Saturday 29 September 2007

Poem: A Follower By Name

A Follower By Name

Source: nylusmilk.wordpress.com (The Literary Pursuit)
Mufti Saif al Islam - Islamic Poems

I am a Muslim but only by name.

When it comes to practising, what a Shame!

I go to friends and relatives in suit and tie,

It’s alright, if occasionally I lie.

Yes I practice, but when it suits me,

Or more to the point, when it pleases the society.

If I show my ankles, they’ll point and laugh,

They’ll think it’s too short and reckon I’m daft.

If I trim my moustache and grow a beard,

They’ll reckon I’m a fanatic or something weird.

If I wear the Sunnah, I’ll get great reward,

But the Kuffar will look down on me that I can’t afford.

Yes I’m a Muslim, but only by name.

I make excuses, which I admit are lame.

Yes, I’m a sane man and I’m on the right track,

Who am I kidding, I feel like a jack.

To hide my inferiority complex, I protest it’s unimportant,

Though my heart screams to tell me, I’m a blatant fraudulent.

The best thing is no-one can hear, what’s going on inside,

People think I’ve got it made, and with my life satisfied.

But I’m afraid, this is a fable and it’s pure deception.

I have no peace of mind, but this I dare not even mention.

If I remain ignoring it’s okay ‘cos then, I don’t have to practice.

Yes I’m convincing (shameless), and these are baseless evil tactics.

But I read the Kalimah , and I think I have Imaan,

I can’t help my attitude, I was placed in Kufrastaan.

Yes I’m a Muslim, but only by name,

And with my precious life, I’m playing a foolish and disastrous game!

No comments: